President Donald Trump ordered his staff to freeze nearly $400 million in aid to Ukraine a few days before a phone call in which he pressured the Eastern European nation’s leader to investigate the family of political rival Joe Biden, a revelation that comes as more Democrats move toward impeachment proceedings.
Trump trying to use the aid budget to bully another country to try and investigate the family of his main rival is so clearly grounds for impeachment, it is hard to imagine a better case.
He was withholding funds appropriated by Congress to pressure a foreign country to try and interfere in their election by investigating his main rival. This makes Watergate look minor.
This is the sort of behaviour you expect from the despotic leader of a third world country, not the President of the United States.
Here’s what my position on impeachment would be if I was in the US:
- If I was a member of the House Judiciary Committee, I would vote for Articles of Impeachment
- If I was a member of the House I would vote to impeach
- If I was a Senator I would vote to convict and remove Trump from office
- If I was a member of the Cabinet, I would vote to use the 25th Amendment
- If I was the US Attorney for the Southern District of New York, I would charge Trump with felonies on multiple counts
- If I was on a jury, I would find Trump guilty of fraud
- If I was the Judge, I would send him to jail
- If I was on a parole board, I would deny him parole
Let no-one be in doubt of where I stand 🙂
UPDATE: House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has just announced an impeachment investigation.That is entirely proper. They are not saying they will impeach, just that they need to determine what exactly Trump did and said, and whether that constitutes grounds for impeachment.
Trump may have done some good things with his judicial appointments, but he is fundamentally unfit for democratic office. He should be removed.