We shouldn’t be electing DHB members, as the reality is the Government controls the funding, so DHBs tend to shelter the Government from accountability.
But as we do elect them, better to get competent people on there.
There are 23 people standing for seven positions.
Let’s start with the ones you should avoid at all costs, current members of the Wellington Regional Council. Can you imagine what would happen if they duplicated their “success” with the buses to say the emergency department. So don’t vote for Roger Blakeley or Sue Kedgley. Also don’t vote for those standing for Labour as their job will be to help Labour, not make the best decisions for the DHB.
So who would I vote for? The seven I would pick are:
- Chris Kalderimis – strong health sector knowledge
- Glenda Hughes – strong leadership and goverance skills
- John Apanowicz – has governance and health sector experience
- Ana Coffey – current board member. Sensible.
- Simon Marsh – has served on WCC, useful experience
- Letitia O’Dwyer – strong health sector knowledge
- Vanessa Simpson – strong health sector knowledge