The Representation Commission has announced final boundaries for the 2020 and 2023 general elections. There will be 72 electorates, meaning normally 48 list seats.
In terms of of it affects prospects in each electorate, the major changes (based on previous voting patterns) are:
- A new South Auckland electorate called Takanini, which should be marginal and competitive.
- New Lynn is now National on paper
- Banks Peninsula (was Port Hills) is now National on paper
- Maungakiekie goes from marginal to relatively safe for National
- Dunedin South goes from safe to marginal for Labour
These final boundaries will now allow parties to complete candidate selections, and then do list rankings.