The story about the two UK travellers who were allowed out of quarantine despite having Covid-19 (they were not tested while in quarantine) has led to a floodgate of stories showing that there is a total mismatch between what we are being told, and what the reality is.
This is not the first time. We saw the same with testing and PPE in the early days – medical professionals on the ground were contradicting what the Government kept telling us.
Anyway here’s the stories out just in the last couple of hours:
- 10 people in quarantine allowed out to attend a funeral with 150 people, eight days after the Government said no exemptions for funerals were being granted
- A traveller from the United States went to a gathering with 40 people a day after she arrived in Auckland and before she was tested for Covid-19. This also occured four days after the Government said no exemptions for funerals and wakes.
- Six people absconded after being granted compassionate leave from Covid-19 quarantine to attend a Hamilton funeral.
- An allegation that two visitors from the UK did have undisclosed contact with people while travelling. (UPDATE: The allegations are correct, and the person who was in contact with them attended a gym the next day)
- The Chief Ombudsman has revealed his staff came into contact with people in quarantine.
- Health officials arranged a birthday party for a girl in managed isolation
Omnishambles appears to be the correct term to use.