Newshub has a useful timeline of Covid-19. Judge for yourself if we went fast and hard or not?
- Day 1 – Virus detected outside China (I choose this as Day 1 as it is when action should have started)
- Day 7 – Michael Baker warns we should start border surveillance
- Day 13 – DG of Health says probability of an outbreak in NZ is low
- Day 16 – WHO declares global health emergency
- Day 19 – Govt bans travellers from China
- Day 46 – PM condemns media for causing anxiety
- Day 50 – Siouxsie Wiles attacks Simon Bridges for criticising Government response
- Day 53 – David Clark rejects drive-thru testing hubs saying not needed yet
- Day 57 – Govt bans travellers from Italy
- Day 60 – Govt asks travellers to voluntarily self-isolate
- Day 62 – Gatherings over 500 banned
- Day 64 – first testing station deployed
- Day 65 – borders closed to non-residents
So they took 65 days to close the borders and this is called fast and hard!