The headline on the WCC website is:
Wellington performs well in survey and safe city index
This headline is so far from reality that it is delusional.
Here’s some of the data from their annual survey of residents:
- Wellington being a great place to live, work and play has dropped from 91% to 76%
- A sense of pride in Wellington has dropped from 82% to 60%
- Wellington city centre as lively and attractive has dropped from 80% in 2019 to 47%
- Satisfaction with Council decision making has dropped from 30% to 16%
- Council makes decisions in best interests of the city dropped from 40% in 2019 to 17%
- Those who feel safe in CBD after dark down from 71% to 57%
- WCC has right balance between preserving character and allowing development down from 48% in 2019 to 21%
- Transport system allows easy access to city down from 64% in 2018 to 50%
- Stormwater management satisfaction down from 62% in 2018 to 36%
These appalling results are not just about the Mayor. It reflects on the Council as a whole.
The questions Councillors should be asking is what changes are they willing to make to turn this decline around.