The headline on the WCC website is:
This headline is so far from reality that it is delusional.
Here’s some of the data from their annual survey of residents:
- Wellington being a great place to live, work and play has dropped from 91% to 76%
- A sense of pride in Wellington has dropped from 82% to 60%
- Wellington city centre as lively and attractive has dropped from 80% in 2019 to 47%
- Satisfaction with Council decision making has dropped from 30% to 16%
- Council makes decisions in best interests of the city dropped from 40% in 2019 to 17%
- Those who feel safe in CBD after dark down from 71% to 57%
- WCC has right balance between preserving character and allowing development down from 48% in 2019 to 21%
- Transport system allows easy access to city down from 64% in 2018 to 50%
- Stormwater management satisfaction down from 62% in 2018 to 36%
These appalling results are not just about the Mayor. It reflects on the Council as a whole.
The questions Councillors should be asking is what changes are they willing to make to turn this decline around.