You have to laugh that Jacinda claims her Government is not soft on crime, at the exact same time as they are voting to change the law so that the most serious repeat violent and sexual offenders will get shorter sentences.
But their record is far more than that. They have also voted down 11 bills that would have been tougher on criminals:
- Sep 2018 – voted down bill to allow Police to issue firearms prohibition orders against gang members with a history of firearms or violent offending
- Oct 2018 – voted down bill to allow for random testing of drivers for drug impairment
- May 2019 – voted down bill to increase maximum penalty for selling or supplying unapproved psychoactive substances from two to 14 years
- June 2020 – voted down bill allowing maximum penalty of 20 years for “coward punches” causing death
- Mar 2021 – voted down a bill requiring a school to be notified if a registered sex offender lives within 5 kms of the school
- Apr 2021 – voted not to proceed with a bill that increases the maximum penalty for assaults on first responders or prison officers to 10 years
- April 2021 – voted down a bill imposing a maximum penalty of five years for killing a police dog
- June 2021 – voted down a bill that clarified carjacking is robbery
- Oct 2021 – again voted down bill to allow Police to issue firearms prohibition orders against gang members with a history of firearms or violent offending
- Apr 2022 – voted down a bill to ban the Government funding gangs
- May 2022 – voted down a bill to increase the power of Police to seize assets gained through significant criminal activity
So claiming they are not soft on crime comes close to gaslighting!