Anne Tolley has released the latest report on the welfare system. Lots of good news:
- 38,000 fewer people on welfare than three years ago
- 42,000 fewer children in benefit dependent households over three years
- A halving of young mothers on welfare since 2009
- The average time a teen parent spends on welfare has reduced from 19 years to 17.5 years
- Total long-term liability has dropped $7.5 billion or 10%
- A reduction in total time on main benefits by 1.2 years for sole parents and 2.8 years for youth beneficiaries
The key is reducing the teenagers going onto welfare, as history shows us they then tend to spend most of their working life on welfare.