A commenter yesterday pointed out a clause in NZ First’s 15 fundamental principles, which highlights their hypocrisy on the Electoral Finance Bill:
Electoral reform will be determined by the electors. The Government’s duty will be to ensure the fair representation of all views and the holding of appropriate referenda.
So consider this:
- The public had no notice before the last election of electoral law changes
- NZ First negotiated in secret with Labour on electoral law changes
- There was no public policy process to allow policy to be set on which the law was based
- Opinion polls (Colmar Brunton) have shown the majority against further third party restrictions
- The Human Rights Commission called for a second round of public submissions, which NZ First ignored
- The public will be restrained from criticising those who voted for the law, by the law.
So is that what NZ First calls having electoral reform determined by the electors?Tags: Electoral Act