The Herald asked some questions of potential Auckland mayoral candidates. The more important answers (my summaries) are:
Would you cap the rates rise?
- Phil Goff – no
- Michael Barnett – no
- Colin Craig – yes to inflation, and referendum for anything beyond that
- Cameron Brewer – yes 2.5%
- John Palino – yes to inflation
What projects would you cut?
- Phil Goff – none, need a briefing
- Michael Barnett – none, just prioritise
- Colin Craig – drop rail loop
- Cameron Brewer – low quality bureaucratic programmes
- John Palino – city rail link
Priority for transport – roads or public transport?
- Phil Goff – public transport
- Michael Barnett – need a mix
- Colin Craig – roads and busways
- Cameron Brewer – too much focus on rail used by only 1.6% of communters
- John Palino – not clear