I used to joke that the only way a teacher can lose their job is if they sexually assault a pupil, but it now seems even that won’t do it.
Here’s some of the offences done by teachers, which the Teachers Council did not find seriious enough to stop them teaching:
* Convictions for importing ecstasy and supplying cannabis to minors;
* Admitted sexually abusing his 15-year-old niece over a two-year period as it was “somewhat addictive”
* held UK convictions including battery against an 11-year-old
* stole $12,700 from his school.
* viewed pornography while supervising a School Certificate exam
So is the Council there to protect teachers or students?