Mediaworks apologises to Tamihere

The Herald reports:

Former RadioLive talkback hoast says he is moving on after a tough 18 months for his family following the settlement of his defamation action against .

Mr Tamihere sued his former employer over the handling of his exit from his talkback job in the wake of fallout after a controversial interview during the Roastbusters scandal.

MR Tamihere said he was happy the matter had been resolved.

“This has been a tough 18 months on my children and family,” he said.

“But the settlement means we can move on, so I accept MediaWorks’ apology.”

Mediaworks today apologised unreservedly to Mr Tamihere, who sued the company – which operates TV3 and radio stations such as The Rock and RadioLive – in December 2013 alleging defamation and breach of contract. He said he had been made a scapegoat following a public backlash to an interview with a female caller who claimed to be friends with one of the Roastbusters’ victims.

The case had appeared destined for a lengthy period of litigation until a surprise settlement was agreed on Friday. Lawyers for Mediaworks had sought to have the case settled by private mediation. In response Mr Tamihere had lodged an appeal with the Court of Appeal arguing the case should be heard in an open court.

That action was withdrawn once the two parties a reached a confidential settlement – which includes a commitment by Mediaworks to broadcast an apology before or after a prime time news bulletin.

Maybe Mediaworks will think twice next time before sacking a host just because of a Twitter led boycott.

Comments (8)

Login to comment or vote