I had the drive from hell yesterday from Boston to Cape Cod.
Normally I love driving, and can’t get enough of it, but my God this was challenging stuff for a number of reasons:
- My first time driving on the right hand side for around four years
- A (large) new rental car never driven before, and it takes a while to get used to a new car
- A route I had never driven before, with only GPS to guide me
- A shitload of traffic weaving in and out
- But most of all torrential rain and thunderstorm like you won’t believe
At times visibility was barely a couple of dozen metres as the rain was so thick. And the four lane I-395 got flooded in parts. Sudden aquaplaning is not enjoyable.
I had a ferry booking also to make. Now I was not going to put making the ferry above driving safely, but it did mean a level of stress, in that if you were delayed for too long, then there would be considerable consequences and hassle.
Eventually made it – 90 miles in two and a half hours which is around twice as long as it would normally take, but really I don’t think I have ever had such bad conditions – the only thing missing was hail.